Haixin Duan (段海新)
Email: duanhx [AT] tsinghua dot edu dot cn
Office: FIT Building, Room 3-211, Tsinghua University.
Dr. Haixin Duan is a professor of the Institute for Network Sciences and Cyberspace, Tsinghua University. He was once a visiting scholar at UC Berkeley and a senior scientist of International Computer Science Institute(ICSI) at Berkeley, CA. Prof. Duan has been working on network security for about 30 years. His recent research interests include network protocol security, intrusion detection, underground economy detection and Internet Governance. Many of his research papers have been published by top security or network conferences like IEEE Symposium on Security & Privacy, USENIX Security, ACM CCS, NDSS, SIGCOMM and IMC. He got several best paper or distinguished paper awards from top security conferences including CCS, NDSS and DSN. Some of his research results were deployed in some big IT companies like Baidu, Huawei and Qi-An-Xin Group.
DNS Security: vulnerability analysis and measurements
Web Security and Web PKI: vulnerability analysis of HTTP/HTTPS, CDN and Browser security,
Intrusion detection & underground economy detection.
- Network security fundamental, for undergraduates in Computer Department of Tsinghua University, 2003-present
- Network and system Security, for graduate in Tsinghua University, 2005-2019
- Network Protocol Security Analysis, for graduate in the Institute for Network Sciences and Cyberspace, 2019-present
- Professor, Network Research Center (now Institute for Network Science and Cyberspace) of Tsinghua University, Beijing, China, 2009–.
- Visiting Scholar, hosted by Professor Vern Paxson in UC Berkeley, CA, USA. 2011–2012.
- Senior Scientist, International Computer Science Institue, Berkeley, CA, USA. 2012 - 2013.
- Associate Professor, Tsinghua University, 2003–2009.
- Assistant Professor, Tsinghua University, 2001–2003.
- Part time Research Assistant in CERNET NOC, Beijing. 1996–2000.
- Tsinghua University, Beijing, China Computer Science, Ph.D., 2000
- Harbin Institute of Technology, Heilongjiang, China. Computer Science, M.S., 1996
- Harbin Institute of Technology, Heilongjiang, China. Computer Science, B.S., 1994
Awards and Honors
- Excellent Talent in Cyber Security, by the Cyberspace Administration of China
- Best paper awards, ACM CCS , 2020
- Best paper awards, The 50nd Annual IEEE/IFIP International Conference on Dependable Systems and Networks(DSN 2020)
- Distinguished Paper, NDSS Symposium 2016
- Applied Network Research Prize, 2020
- [Best Mentor and Helpful Friends, voted by students]（http://www.sc.tsinghua.edu.cn/newsletter/2526.jhtml）
Selected Professional Activities
- Associate Editor-in-Chief, Transaction on Privacy and Security, 2020-present
- PC member of EthiCS 2022 (The 1st International Workshop on Ethics in Computer Security)
- PC member of ESORICS 2021 (the 26th European Symposium on Research in Computer Security (ESORICS))
- PC member of ICDCS 2021 (41st IEEE International Conference on Distributed Computing Systems)
- PC member of The Network and Distributed System Security (NDSS) Symposium.
- PC member of ESORICS 2020 (The 25th European Symposium on Research in Computer Security)
- PC member of ESORICS19 (European Symposium on Research in Computer Security 2019)
- PC Member of The ACM Conference on Computer and Communications Security (CCS 2018)
- PC member of ICICS 2018 (20th International Conference on Information and Communications Security)
- PC member of DSC 2018 (2018 IEEE Conference on Dependable and Secure Computing)
- PC member of ESORICS 2018 (23rd European Symposium on Research in Computer Security)
- PC member of SafeThings 2017 (1st ACM Workshop on the Internet of Safe Things)
- PC member of IEEEPAC2017 (The first IEEE Symposium on Privacy-Aware Computing)
- PC member of ACM TUR-C 2017 (Security and Privacy Track) (1st ACM China Annual Conference Sigsac china)
- PC member of ACSW 2017 (The Australiasian Computer Science Week Conference)
- PC member of SG-CRC 2017 (Singapore Cyber-security Research Conference 2017)
- PC member of DSC 2016 (International Conference on Data Science in Cyberspace)
- PC member of AsiaCCS 2016 (11th ACM Asia Conference on Computer and Communications Security)
- PC member of SECURECOMM 2015 (11th International Conference on Security and Privacy in Communication Network)
- PC member of SENT-2015 (NDSS Workshop on Security of Emerging Networking Technologies)
- PC member of ISPEC 2015 (The 11st International Conference on Information Security Practice and Experience)
- PC member of IEEE CISDA 2014 (Seventh IEEE Symposium on Computational Intelligence for Security and Defense Applications)
- Member of Academic Degrees Commitee of the State Council, China, 2020 -present
- Board member of Cyber Security Association of China, 2016- present
- Committe member of Computer Security Technical Committee of China Computer Federation, 2019-present
- Committe Member of Security Protocol techonical Committee of Chinese Association for Cryptologic Research (CACR), 2014-present.
- Co-Fouder and Chair of International Forum for Security Research (InForSec), the community for security researchers, 2015-present
- Co-Fouder of XCTF, a community for Chinese CTF(Capture the flag) players, 2016-present
- Co-Fouder of DataCon, Data security contest & conference, 2019-present
My publication list on DBLP
My publication list on Google Scholar
Qinsheng Hou, Wenrui Diao, Yanhao Wang, Xiaofeng Liu, Song Liu, Lingyun Ying, Shanqing Guo, Yuanzhi Li, Meining Nie, Haixin Duan. Large-scale Security Measurements on the Android Firmware Ecosystem. International Conference on Software Engineering (ICSE’22), 2022.
Shiyue Nie, Yiming Zhang, Tao Wan, Haixin Duan, Song Li. Measuring the Deployment of 5G Security Enhancement. The 5th ACM Conference on Security and Privacy in Wireless and Mobile Networks. 2022.
Fenglu Zhang, Chaoyi Lu, Baojun Liu, Haixin Duan, Ying Liu. Measuring the Practical Effect of DNS Root Server Instances: A China-Wide Case Study. International Conference on Passive and Active Network Measurement, 2013.
Qinge Xie, Shujun Tang, Xiaofeng Zheng, Qingran Lin, Baojun Liu, Haixin Duan, Frank Li. Building an Open, Robust, and Stable Voting-Based Domain Top List, USENIX Security 2022.
Zihao Jin, Ziqiao Kong, Shuo Chen, Haixin Duan. Site Isolation Enables Timing-Based Cross-Site Browsing Surveillance. IEEE Symposium on Security and Privacy, 2022.
Hui Gao, Yiming Zhang, Tao Wan, Jia Zhang, Haixin Duan, On Evaluating Delegated Digital Signing of Broadcasting Messages in 5G. IEEE Global Communications Conference (GLOBECOM), 2021.
Mingxuan Liu, Yiming Zhang, Baojun Liu, Zhou Li, Haixin Duan, Donghong Sun. Detecting and Characterizing SMS Spearphishing Attacks., Annual Computer Security Applications Conference(ACSAC), 2021.
Yiming Zhang, Baojun Liu, Chaoyi Lu, Zhou Li, Haixin Duan, Jiachen Li, Zaifeng Zhang. Rusted Anchors: A National Client-Side View of Hidden Root CAs in the Web PKI Ecosystem. ACM SIGSAC Conference on Computer and Communications Security(CCS) , 2021.
Hao Yang, Kun Du, Yubao Zhang, Shuai Hao, Haining Wang, Jia Zhang, Haixin Duan. Mingling of Clear and Muddy Water: Understanding and Detecting Semantic Confusion in Blackhat SEO, European Symposium on Research in Computer Security., 2021.
Xiang Li, Baojun Liu, Xiaofeng Zheng, Haixin Duan, Qi Li, Youjun Huang. Fast IPv6 Network Periphery Discovery and Security Implications, 51st Annual IEEE/IFIP International Conference on Dependable Systems and Networks (DSN), 2021.
Zihan Zhang, Mingxuan Liu, Chao Zhang, Yiming Zhang, Zhou Li, Qi Li, Haixin Duan, Donghong Sun. Argot: generating adversarial readable chinese texts. Proceedings of the Twenty-Ninth International Conference on International Joint Conferences on Artificial Intelligence, 2021.
Libo Chen, Yanhao Wang, Quanpu Cai, Yunfan Zhan, Hong Hu, Jiaqi Linghu, Qinsheng Hou, Chao Zhang, Haixin Duan, Zhi Xue. Sharing more and checking less: Leveraging common input keywords to detect bugs in embedded systems, USENIX Security, 2021.
Chaoyi Lu, Baojun Liu, Yiming Zhang, Zhou Li, Fenglu Zhang, Haixin Duan, Ying Liu, Joann Qiongna Chen, Jinjin Liang, Zaifeng Zhang, Shuang Hao, Min Yang, From WHOIS to WHOWAS: A Large-Scale Measurement Study of Domain Registration Privacy under the GDPR. NDSS 2021.
Kaiwen Shen, Chuhan Wang, Minglei Guo, Xiaofeng Zheng, Chaoyi Lu, Baojun Liu, Yuxuan Zhao, Shuang Hao, Haixin Duan, Qingfeng Pan, Min Yang., Weak links in authentication chains: a large-scale analysis of email sender spoofing attacks., USENIX Security 2021.
Kun Du, Hao Yang, Yubao Zhang, Haixin Duan, Haining Wang, Shuang Hao, Zhou Li, Min Yang, Understanding promotion-as-a-service on GitHub. Annual Computer Security Applications Conference(ACSAC) 2020.
Keyu Man, Zhiyun Qian, Zhongjie Wang, Xiaofeng Zheng, Youjun Huang, Haixin Duan. DNS cache poisoning attack reloaded: Revolutions with side channels, ACM SIGSAC Conference on Computer and Communications Security(CCS), 2020.
Mingming Zhang, Xiaofeng Zheng, Kaiwen Shen, Ziqiao Kong, Chaoyi Lu, Yu Wang, Haixin Duan, Shuang Hao, Baojun Liu, Min Yang., Talking with familiar strangers: an empirical study on https context confusion attacks, ACM SIGSAC Conference on Computer and Communications Security(CCS), 2021
X. Zheng, C. Lu, J. Peng, Q. Yang, D. Zhou, B. Liu, K. Man, S. Hao, H. Duan, Z. Qian. Poison Over Troubled Forwarders: A Cache Poisoning Attack Targeting DNS Forwarding Devices, USENIX Security 2020
Yiming Zhang, Baojun Liu, Chaoyi Lu, Zhou Li, Haixin, Shuang Hao, Mingxuan Liu, Ying Liu, Dong Wang, Qian Li. Lies in the Air: Characterizing Fake-base-station Spam Ecosystem in China, CCS 2020
Weizhong Li, Kaiwen Shen, Run Guo, Baojun Liu, Jia Zhang, Haixin Duan, Shuang Hao, Xiarun Chen, Yao Wang. CDN Backfired: Amplification Attacks Based on HTTP Range Requests, DSN 2020 (best paper nominee). PDF download
Run Guo, Weizhong Li, Baojun Liu, Shuang Hao, Jia Zhang, Haixin Duan, Kaiwen Shen, Jianjun Chen, Ying Liu. CDN Judo: Breaking the CDN DoS Protection with Itself, NDSS 2020. PDF download
Kun Du, Hao Yang, Zhou Li, Haixin Duan, Shuang Hao and etc. TL; DR Hazard: A Comprehensive Study of Levelsquatting Scams, International Conference on Security and Privacy in Communication Systems, 2019
Chaoyi Lu, Baojun Liu, Zhou Li, Shuang Hao, Haixin Duan, Mingming Zhang, Chunying Leng, Ying Liu, Zaifeng Zhang, Jianping Wu, An End-to-End, Large-Scale Measurement of DNS-over-Encryption: How Far Have We Come? ACM Internet Measurement Conference, 2019 PDF download
Baojun Liu, Zhou Li, Peiyuan Zong, Chaoyi Lu, Haixin Duan, Ying Liu, Sumayah Alrwais, Xiaofeng Wang, Shuang Hao, Yaoqi Jia, Yiming Zhang, Kai Chen, Zaifeng Zhang. 4th IEEE European Symposium on Security and Privacy (EuroS&P’19). 4th IEEE European Symposium on Security and Privacy, 2019
Run Guo, Jianjun Chen, Baojun Liu, Jia Zhang, Chao Zhang, Haixin Duan, Tao Wan, Jian Jiang, Shuang Hao, Yaoqi Jia. Abusing CDNs for Fun and Profit: Security Issues in CDNs’ Origin Validation. IEEE 37th Symposium on Reliable Distributed Systems (SRDS), 2018
Kun Yang, Yuan Deng, Chao Zhang, Jianwei Zhuge, Haixin Duan, ICUFuzzer: Fuzzing ICU Library for Exploitable Bugs in Multiple Software, International Conference on Information Security, 2018
Baojun Liu, Chaoyi Lu, Zhou Li, Ying Liu, Hai-Xin Duan, Shuang Hao, Zaifeng Zhang. A Reexamination of Internationalized Domain Names: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly. Dependable Systems and Networks, 2018
Jian Jiang, Jia Zhang, Haixin Duan, Kang Li, Wu Liu. Analysis and Measurement of Zone Dependency in the Domain Name System, IEEE International Conference on Communications (ICC), 2018
Fuqing Chen, Haixin Duan, Xiaofeng Zheng, Jian Jiang, Jianjun Chen, Path Leaks of HTTPS Side-Channel by Cookie Injection. International Workshop on Constructive Side-Channel Analysis and Secure Design , 2018
Jianjun Chen, Jian Jiang, Haixin Duan, Tao Wan, Shuo Chen, Vern Paxson, Min Yang. We Still Don’t Have Secure Cross-Domain Requests: an Empirical Study of CORS, 27th USENIX Security Symposium, 2018
Baojun Liu, Chaoyi Lu, Haixin Duan, Ying Liu, Zhou Li, Shuang Hao, Min Yang, Who is answering my queries: Understanding and characterizing interception of the DNS resolution path. 27th USENIX Security Symposium, 2018
Mingming Zhang, Baojun Liu, Chaoyi Lu, Jia Zhang, Shuang Hao, Haixin Duan, Measuring Privacy Threats in China-Wide Mobile Networks. 8th USENIX Workshop on Free and Open Communications on the Internet (FOCI), 2018
Hao Yang, Xiulin Ma, Kun Du, Zhou Li, Haixin Duan*, Xiaodong Su, Guang Liu, Zhifeng Geng, and Jianping Wu. How to Learn Klingon Without a Dictionary: Detection and Measurement of Black Keywords Used by the Underground Economy , IEEE Symposium on Security & Privacy, 2017
Jianjun Chen, Jian Jiang, Haixin Duan, Nick Weaver, Tao Wan, Vern Paxson. Host of Troubles: Multiple Host Ambiguities in HTTP Implementations, CCS 2016
Kun Du, Hao Yang, Zhou Li, Haixin Duan(*), Kehuan Zhang. The Ever-changing Labyrinth: A Large-scale Analysis of Wildcard DNS Powered Blackhat SEO, USENIX Security 2016
Xiaojing Liao,Kan Yuan, Xiaofeng Wang(), Zhongyu Pei,Hao Yang, Jianjun Chen, Haixin Duan(), Kun Du, Eihal Alowaisheq, Sumayah Alrwais, Luyi Xing, Raheem Beyah, Seeking Nonsense, Looking for Trouble: Efficient Promotional Infection Detection through Semantic Inconsistency Search, IEEE Symposium on Security & Privacy, San Jose, California. May 23-26, 2016
Jianjun Chen, Jian Jiang, Xiaofeng Zheng, Haixin Duan(*), Jinjin Liang, Tao Wan, Kang Li, Vern Paxson, Forwarding-Loop Attacks in Content Delivery Networks, NDSS 2016
Song Li, Haixin Duan(*), Zhiliang Wang, and Xing Li, Route Leaks Identification by Detecting Routing Loops, SecureComm (11th EAI International Conference on Security and Privacy in Communication Networks), 2015
Xiaofeng Zheng, Jian Jiang, Jinjin Liang, Haixin Duan, Shuo Chen, Tao Wan, Nicholas Weaver, Cookies lack integrity: real world implications, USENIX Security, 2015.
Jinjin Liang, Jian Jiang, Haixin Duan, Kang Li, Tao Wan, Jianping Wu. “When HTTPS Meets CDN: A Case of Authentication in Delegated Service” Accepted by IEEE Symposium on Security & Privacy, 2014.
Kun Yang, Lujue Zhou, Yongke Wang, Jianwei Zhuge and Haixin Duan. “IntentFuzzer: Detecting Capability Leaks of Android Applications”, ASIACCS 2014
H. Gao, V. Yegneswaran, Y. Chen, P. Porras, S. Ghosh, J. Jiang, and H. Duan, “An empirical reexamination of global DNS behavior,” SIGCOMM, 2013.
Man Hou, Haixin Duan,Jian Jiang, Jinjin Liang,Yan Ma, 中美银行网站HTTPS部署的测量与对比分析(Measurement and comparison of HTTPS deployment of Banking Websites in China and America), VARA 2013
Jinjin Liang, Jian Jiang, Haixin Duan, Kang Li and Jianping Wu, Measuring Query Latency of Top Level DNS Servers, 14th Passive and Active Measurement conference(PAM), Mar. 2013, Hongkong
J. Zhuge*, L. Gu, H. Duan, Investigating China’s Online Underground Economy. Conference on the Political Economy of Information Security in China, San Diego, US, Apr, 2012.
Haixin Duan, Nicholas Weaver, Zongxu Zhao, Meng Hu, Jinjin Liang, Jian Jiang, Kang Li and Vern Paxson, Hold-On: Protecting Against On-Path DNS Poisoning, Securing and Trusting Internet Names, SATIN 2012.
J. Jian, L. Jinjin, L. Kang, L. Jun, D. Haixin, W. Jianping, Ghost Domain Names: Revoked Yet Still Resolvable, 19th Annual Network & Distributed System Security Symposium (NDSS), 5-8 February 2012.
Z. Jia, D. Haixin, L. Wu, W. Jianping WindTalker: A P2P-Based Low-Latency Anonymous Communication Network, IEICE Transactions on Communications, VOL. E92-B, NO.10, pp. 3183–3194, 2009.
L. Wu, D. Haixin, L. Tao, L. Xing, W. Jianping. H6Proxy: ICMPv6 Weakness Analysis and Implementation of IPv6 Attacking Test Proxy, Cybercrime and Trustworthy Computing (CTC), Brisbane, Australia, 2009.
L. Wu, D. Haixin, R. Ping, W. Jianping, Intrusion Detection Using SVM, Proc. IEEE 7th International Confer- ence on Wireless Communications (WiCOM), Wuhan, China, 2011.
W. Lanjia, D. Haixin, L. Xing, Port scan behavior diagnosis by clustering, Proc. Information and communica- tion security, vol. 3783, pp. 243–255, 2005.
Z. Jia, G. Yuntao, J. Xiaoxin, D. Haixin, W. Jianping, AMCAS: An Automatic Malicious Code Analysis System, Proc. 9th International Conference on Web-Age Information Management (WAIM) IEEE Computer Society Washington, DC, USA, 2008.
Z.Jia,D.Haixin,W.Lanjia,AFastMethodofSignatureGenerationforPolymorphicWorms,Proc.International Conference on Computer and Electrical Engineering (ICCEE), Phuket, Thailand, 2009.
L. Xing, D. Haixin, L. Xing, Identification of P2P traffic based on the content redistribution characteristic, Proc. International Symposium on Communications and Information Technologies (ISCIT), 2007.
L. Xuefeng, D. Haixin, L., Wu, W. Jianping. Understanding the Construction Mechanism of Botnets, Proc. IEEE Symposia and Workshops on Ubiquitous, Autonomic and Trusted Computing (UIC/ATC), 2009.
Mingxuan Liu, Zihan Zhang, Yiming Zhang, Chao Zhang, Zhou Li, Qi Li, Haixin Duan, Donghong Sun. Automatic Generation of Adversarial Readable Chinese Texts. IEEE Transactions on Dependable and Secure Computing, 2022
Jia Zhang, Haixin Duan, Jian Jiang, Jinjin Liang, Jianping Wu. Finding the best answer: measuring the optimization of public and authoritative DNS. Science China Information Sciences volume 62, Article number: 39107 , 2019
Hongyu Gao, Vinod Yegneswaran, Jian Jiang, Yan Chen, Member, IEEE, Phillip Porras, Shalini Ghosh, Haixin Duan, Reexamining DNS from a Global Recursive Resolver Perspective, to appear in IEEE/ACM TRANSACTIONS ON NETWORKING, Vol. 24, 2016
Y. Feng, D. Haixin, L. Xing. Modeling and analyzing of the interaction between worms and antiworms during network worm propagation, Science in China, Series F (Information Sciences), vol. 48, pp. 91–106, 2005.